Mahoning Valley Historical Society announces the creation of a new event series that celebrates the rich diversity of cultures within the community. Planning is underway for five evenings over the remainder of 2019 and all of 2020 that will honor various ethnic cuisines, traditions, and entertainment. A new advisory group within MVHS, called Mahoning Valley Cultural Alliance, is responsible for organizing these events. This group was formerly named Ohio Cultural Alliance before joining MVHS.
The first event will be held on Monday, October 7, 2019 from 5:30pm to 8:00pm at Organizacion Civica y Cultural Hispana Americana (OCCHA) Hall at 3660 Shirley Rd., Youngstown, OH. The “Hispanic Culture & Cuisine Night” will offer authentic menu options, mariachi entertainment by Felipe Torres, and remarks provided by Hector Colon. Mr. Colon is a Board Member of OCCHA, a member of Mahoning Valley Cultural Alliance, and Youngstown’s former Fire Chief.
Upcoming events include:
• “Christmas in Many Lands,” November 4, 2019 at Tyler History Center, 325 W. Federal St., Youngstown, OH
• “German Culture & Cuisine,” April 6, 2020 at Saxon Club, 710 S. Meridian Rd., Youngstown, OH
• “Romanian Culture & Cuisine,” May 4, 2020 at Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church, 626 Wick Ave., Youngstown, OH
• “Italian Culture & Cuisine.” September 14, 2020 at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Social Hall, 343 Via Mt. Carmel Ave., Youngstown, OH
• “African Culture & Cuisine,” October 5, 2020 at Tyler History Center, 325 W. Federal St., Youngstown, OH
• “Greek Culture & Cuisine,” November 2, 2020 at Archangel Michael Greek Orthodox Church, 401 12th St., Campbell, OH
For more information about this event and to purchase tickets, visit https://mahoninghistory.org/events/.