The Mahoning County Courthouse was designed by Charles F. Owsley in the Second Wren Renaissance Revival Style. The cornerstone was laid on June 11, 1908 and construction was completed in 1910. This majestic building has an expansive marble lobby floor with 12 marble columns. At the center, the rotunda rises nearly 100 feet to a glazed art glass interior dome. Two grand marble staircases border the rotunda area, and mahogany word work and six-foot high marble wainscoting can be found inside. The open-air lobby provides a panoramic view of lobby balconies, offices and courtrooms on each of the four floors. Stairway landings feature paintings symbolic of agriculture and manufacturing, the predominant industries of Mahoning County at the turn of the century, and there are priceless murals in many of the individual courtrooms. A restoration project was started in 1985, and the Courthouse has won national historic preservation awards and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.