Now is the time to visit some of the great farmers markets in the Youngstown area. Brimming with local produce and unique goods, here are five you should definitely visit before the end of summer.
The Austintown Farmers Market
The Austintown Farmers Market goes above and beyond your usual market expectations. While there’s plenty of locally-grown, organic and sustainable produce sold at the market, there’s also free yoga sessions, cooking demonstrations and live music. You’ll find lots of family-friendly activities and unique artisanal goods. The market’s summer season is held at Austintown Township Park on Mondays, 5pm-8pm until August 26. Special Friday night markets will be held September-December. For Austintown Farmers Market updates, text JOIN to 330-349-2503.
Angiuli’s Farm Market
You can peruse all sorts of freshly grown fruits and vegetables, indoors, at Angiuli’s Farm Market. This summer, the market transitioned to a spacious new building located at 9600 Columbiana Canfield Rd., making it easier than ever to escape the hot summer heat and explore the farm’s vast offerings. Right now, you’ll find the tables and shelves stocked with sweet corn, hot peppers, juicy blueberries, homemade jams and more. The market is open Monday-Saturday, 9am-6pm and Sunday, 9am-5pm. You’ll also find Angiuli’s satellite locations in Austintown, Cornersburg and Boardman.
Rhodes Farm Market
Located in Columbiana, Rhodes Farm Market is another great spot to find seasonal produce and local goods. At Rhodes, the market offers a combination of locally curated goods and regional selections so that customers are always shopping the highest quality products possible. The shelves are stocked with everything from fruits, vegetables and cheeses to homemade candies, baked goods and condiments. You can also purchase made-to-order sandwiches and home goods like wreaths and blankets. Market hours are Monday-Saturday, 9am-6pm.
Northside Farmers Market
Held at the Unitarian Universalist Church near Wick Park, the Northside Farmers Market brings together farmers and locals each Saturday from 10am-1pm. Expect to find some of the freshest fruits, vegetables, meats, jams, honey, home-baked breads and sweets. This market accepts WIC coupons, Senior Farmers’ market coupons and the Ohio Direction Card.
GROW Urban Farmers Market
In conjunction with the organization, “ACTION,” GROW Urban Farm hosts several pop-up farmers markets throughout the Youngstown area. All produce sold at these markets is grown locally by the organization, which provides workforce development and job readiness training to people who have barriers to employment. SNAP cards, Produce Perks tokens, debit and credit cards and senior vouchers are all accepted. For more information, call 330-208-2595. Mark your calendars for the August pop-ups:
- 8/9: Newport 11am-3:30pm
- 8/16: Federal Plaza 11am-3:30pm
- 8/23: Arlington Heights 11am-3:30pm
- 8/30: Federal Plaza 11am-3:30pm
Other Markets and Farms to Visit
In addition to the five mentioned above, Mahoning County is home to a wide selection of other farms and farmers markets. For even more fresh produce and unique goods, visit any of the following local spots:
- Lake Milton Farmers Market – located on Amphitheatre Lawn in Lake Milton, open Saturdays 9am-12pm
- Four Seasons Farm and Flea Market – indoor/outdoor market located at 3000 McCartney Rd. in Youngstown; open year-round, Sunday and Wednesday 8am-4pm
- White House Fruit Farm – a favorite among locals and lots of visitors, make sure to try a fresh blueberry donut
- Haus Orchard and Cider Mill – a second generation cider mill offering delicious apple cider; visit in September for their Sauerkraut Festival
- Molnar Farms – farming over 100 acres of fruits and vegetables, this market is brimming with freshly picked produce, local dairy and eggs, and specialty products.
- Lonardo’s Greenhouse – wide selection of produce, plants, flowers and hanging baskets; make sure to check their Facebook page for the latest deals
- Fodor Tree Farm – in the spring and summer, visit for fresh-cut flower arrangements; in the winter, visit for Christmas trees and wreaths
- Lamppost Farm – practices sustainable farming methods to raise premium quality meats. Store open Saturdays 9am-4pm.
Now is the time to enjoy all the fresh produce and unique communities found at local farmers markets. Don’t miss your opportunity to explore the markets this summer! For more information about upcoming events in the Youngstown area, visit our Facebook page or our website.