With so many talented local artists, exciting festivals and well-curated exhibits, there are endless opportunities for art enthusiasts to explore. Whether you’re an artist or an admirer, here are a few fine arts events happening soon in the Valley!
21st Annual Summer Festival of the Arts
Youngstown State University’s Summer Festival of the Arts (SFA) is the flagship event for the Summer Festival of the Arts Weekend. It’s basically a massive celebration of the performing and visual arts, happening this year on July 13, 10am–6pm and July 14, 11am–5pm. Head to the YSU campus and enjoy works from 80+ local, regional and national artists. Throughout the weekend, you’ll also find a full schedule of music, dance and theatrical performances. The Summer Festival of the Arts is free to attend and free parking can be found at any YSU parking deck or surface lot.
Other Summer Festival of the Arts Weekend Events
As we mentioned, SFA is the largest event of the Summer Festival of the Arts Weekend. However, there are several other events and festivals also happening as part of this weekend celebration. Here’s the event schedule:
- July 11-14 | Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church Summerfest – free and open to the public; expect Greek food, music, dancing and merchandise
- July 13 at 7pm | Youngstown Wine and Jazz ft. Norman Brown – head to The Youngstown Foundation Amphitheatre for a night of wine tasting and jazz music; tickets are $10 or $25
- July 14 at 6pm | 2DE Gospel Festival – the 4th annual 2Deep Entertainment Gospel Festival starring James Fortune will be at The Youngstown Foundation Amphitheatre; tickets start at $10.
The Youngstown Flea is well into its fourth season this year and continues to bring some of the best local vendors and makers together. This Market for Makers meets once a month right in the heart of Downtown Youngstown, next to Covelli Centre. At each market, expect locally and regionally curated artwork, home décor, clothing, furniture, collectibles, food and more. The next Flea will be on July 13 from 9am–3pm, featuring vendors like Jason’s Marvelous Popcorn and Everhard Designs. A free (donations welcome) outdoor yoga class takes place each month from 9am–9:45am with yoga mats available to borrow. Kids and pets are both welcome at the Flea.
The Butler Institute of American Art Celebrates 100 Years
In case you missed it, The Butler Institute of American Art is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year! Founded in 1919, the museum is devoted entirely to American art, with collections totaling 20,000+ pieces. Explore one of the many permanent exhibits at any point in the year, or keep an eye out for the exciting, temporary exhibits that arrive periodically. In celebration of its 100th year, the Butler has a wide variety of unique exhibits planned. Here’s a few:
- 83rd National Midyear Show (Now – July 28): two-dimensional artwork of adult artists from throughout the 50 states
- On America: A Lecture Series by Prominent Art Scholars (various dates July 10 – September 18)
- Youngstown Symphony Orchestra Performance: Impressions at The Butler (July 27)
- Paxton’s Women (August 18 – November 10): includes 40+ large-scale paintings by William McGregor Paxton
For full exhibit and event details, click here. The Butler is open Tuesday-Saturday, 11am–4pm, and Sunday 12pm–4pm. Youngstown Live is sponsoring special summer extended hours on Wednesdays (11am-8pm) now through September 28th. Along with perusing the artwork, you can also shop at the Museum Store or grab a bite to eat at the Collections Café.