Between demanding jobs, kids, and the stresses of life, it is hard to find time to sit back and relax for more than ten minutes during the day. Taking a breather is important to staying healthy, but putting everything on hold to go on a spontaneous jaunt to a tropical locale isn’t always feasible.
That’s the beauty of a staycation! All the relaxation without the travel. It’s easy to take your home county for granted but Mahoning County has plenty of locations to rewind and find some peace and quiet. Whether your version of rejuvenation is a quaint B&B, campground, or spa there’s no need to take a step out of Mahoning County to relax!
Use this handy staycation guide to plan your own Youngstown-area getaway.
Day Trip Dreamin’
Mill Creek Family Affair– Pack a cooler, chairs, swimsuits and blankets and head to Mill Creek Park for a day of family fun!
- Begin your day at Fellows Riverside Gardens to see some beautiful blooms.
- Head to the Lake Glacier Boathouse where the kids can hop on a paddle boat and explore the calm waters.
- Take a detour to the Lily Pond where you can watch the turtles sun themselves and heron hidden along the banks.
- LUNCH BREAK! Try the Wick Recreation Area and claim a picnic table. Kids can keep cool at the splash pad and spend a few hours racing through the adventure area for youngsters ages 5 through 12.
- End your day at Lanterman’s Mill and see the sunset at the beautiful mill falls.
Check out this interactive map to add even more Mill Creek fun into your day! If you and the kids want to make it a weekend adventure, try these hotels for a quick respite and to reboot for the next day!
Ladies Who Lunch (And Spa And Shop)- Ladies, sometimes all you need is a day with your girlfriends to lift your spirits and relax. Begin your day at The Mocha House in Boardman for a fortifying coffee and full breakfast (and a pastry, we won’t tell!). Then, it’s time to shop ‘till you drop! These upscale locations are perfect for window shopping or treating yourself:
- Southern Park Mall houses stores such as Dillard’s, Macy’s, JC Penney’s, and many more.
- La Ti Da Boutique offers brands such as Free People, Lucky, and Kendra Scott as well as jewelry and shoes.
- EJ Hannah boasts high-end labels like BCBGMAXAZRIA, Level 99, Lilla P as well as special occasion gowns and outfits.
- Blush Boutique, housed in Adamas Jewelry, is where you can find trendy clothing, jewelry, and accessories.
- ivory & birch is the place to go for upscale home décor, on-trend brands, and Youngstown merchandise!
- The Encore Shop is Youngstown’s premier consignment shop that features upscale, gently used clothing.
After your hard day of shopping, treat yourself to a manicure, pedicure, massage, or facial at any of these fine spas:
- Casal’s de Spa and Salon in Canfield
- Thermae Retreat in Boardman
- Advanced Skin Spa in Poland
- Allure Spa & Salon in Boardman
Depending on where your day takes you, here is a list of local restaurants that have options for lunch and dinner. Making it a girl’s weekend? Check out these convenient hotels in a variety of locations in Mahoning County. Enjoy!
A Day Fore(!) the Boys-With plenty of challenging golf courses, you can keep at it for the whole day or weekend. Check out any of these fine courses, and don’t worry- each of those listed has a restaurant for when you work up an appetite!
- Knoll Run Golf Course in Lowellville
- Kennsington Golf Club in Canfield
- Olde Dutch Mill Golf Course in Lake Milton
- The Links at Firestone Farms in Columbiana
Looking to make it a whole weekend of golfing? Kennsington Golf Club has an on-site Courtyard Marriot hotel so you can rest easy then hit the course again the next day! The Links at Firestone Farms is just minutes from Das Dutch Village Inn.
The Great Escape
Overnight staycations in the great outdoors are only a short car ride away!
Lake Lovin’– Try Lake Milton or Lake Berlin for fishing, boating, splashing, swimming, floating, sun bathing, and any other fun activity you can think of. Bring plenty of water, towels, lunch (maybe even dinner!)
- For overnight stays at Lake Milton, the RV Resort & Marina is close at hand if you have an RV or try Green Acres Lake Park Resort if you want to pitch your tent and sing around the campfire!
- For overnight stays near Lake Berlin, the Berlin RV Park and Campground in the middle of Amish Country is a beautiful respite from fun at the lake. Pet friendly and hiking trails are just a few highlights of this awesome place!
Gather Round the Campfire– Camping has never been so fun! At Western Reserve Park, family fun is the name of the game. A swimming lake, fishing lake, children’s activities, and reasonably-priced camp sites are perfect for a weekend getaway.
Home Away From Home
If you’re looking for a romantic weekend, try the Bella Fattoria Bed and Breakfast. Located behind the scenic Mastropietro Winery and just a short walk from it, this quaint home is a perfect mix of old and new. Rustic charm meets the comforts of home and you will be certain to get the rest and relaxation you deserve!
This is just a brief list of the exciting activities that can be found in Mahoning County to change up your regular weekend routine. Check out our website for a full list of activities, places, fine dining, and much more!